- Update as of 7th of February 2019 – The certification price is bump to $238 USD (~PHP 12.5k @52.21) from $168 USD.
Fist bump to The Quirky Yuppie – without his blog I wouldn’t have any idea on how to take ISTQB exam in the Philippines.
Beyond my vivid imagination, I couldn’t imagine I will take software tester’s certification. During college, I wanted to be in the field of networking. I even bought those 4 heavy books for I wanted to take CCNA certification and be a CISCO certified.
Last Tuesday, I had taken my ISTQB (International Software Testing Qualifications Board) Foundation Level Certification. The certification is for software testers who want to upgrade his/her skill and value, or lost in the QA field just like me -MEH. Here in our country, it is not common to take the exam; a very few testing centers offer ISTQB as well as company honor the certification.
But do not worry, there are some benefits from taking the exam. You, as a tester, is internationally recognized. Of course, self-fulfillment, bragging rights, and an addition to your LinkedIn and CV credentials. Aside from that, you will learn a LOT, I’ll say it again a LOT.
How to prepare:
- Download the syllabus here.
- Decide if you will enroll to a review center or do a self study. What I did is to self study and enroll in an online course.*
- Study, study, study. Spare some time. Some say they prepared themselves for 2 -3 months before taking the exam. I recommend just do it for 2 – 3 weeks, with determination to pass, while working simultaneously. However, I knew someone who did it for 1 week – MAN! Pffffs.
- Assess your learnings by taking mock exams as many as you can.
- Prepare $168 USD or around PHP 8.4k ($1 USD = Php 50)
How to book the exam: 2017 version
- Go to www.pearsonvue.com
2. Click the For Test takers > Schedule an exam
3. On ‘Select your program’ text field, type ‘BCS’ and select the ‘BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT’
4. Click ‘Create account’ button and create an account.
5. On ‘Select Exam’ text field type ‘ISEB-SWT2’ and select ‘ISTQB-BCS Certified Tester Foundation Level’
6. Then click ‘Schedule an exam’ button to see the location of testing centers available in your area.
The results will be out 48 hours after you take the test. An email will be sent to you inviting you to register to their website to view your score. The passing score is 26 out of 40.